The New Zealand Deerstalkers' Association is committed to the promotion of hunting as a sport. It's mission statement is:
Branches largely arrange their own activities within the guiding rules of association, and each branch contributes financially to the national body according to the number of branch members.
The NZDA is involved in the following activities on members’ behalf.
- Youth activity programmes
- Hunting and bush craft training
- Public access for recreational activities
- Game animal protection and management
- Firearms safety training
- National shooting competitions
- The building and maintenance of huts
- Participation in the conservation debate
- Communication with members through magazines and newsletters